For those of you looking at this blog and wondering where I’ve been, I’ve switched sites. If you want to be kept up on all my latest posts then click here to subscribe to my new and improved site! Hope to see you there!
- Take a day trip to explore another city.
- Check out a garage sale (You never know what you’ll find). Here is a garage sale finder to see which sales are close by.
- Go to a scenic area and have a photo shoot (New profile picture anyone?)
- Try something new for girls night (Try an Escape room, cat café, painting with a twist, or zumba class).
- Host a makeup swap with friends (What better way to try a new palette without having to buy it!).
- Find a free concert (My college and hometown both have free concert series, so check your area!).
- Check out a Farmer’s Market (Even if you don’t buy any fruit or veggies, the Dallas Farmer’s Market has so many free samples of the best tasting produce).
- Try thrifting (You can repurpose items if you can sew, or just find cute pieces. I’ve found Lily Pulitzer and JCrew, so you never know). Here is a thrift store finder, so you can see which stores are in your area.
- Reconnect with friends you haven’t talked to in awhile.
- Check out a Comedy Club (My mom saw Ellen when she went in her 20s. Check the age limits because most clubs you have to be 21).
After seeing the banana powder trend popping up I knew I just had to try it! However, I didn’t want to drop $20 for the smaller size of the Ben Nye Banana Powder and hate it, so the $4 Wet n Wild option seemed like a good one to try. I have yellow toned skin, so I feel this product works better for me than someone with pink or red undertones, but for $4 why not try it out?
Wet n Wild Megaglo Contouring Palette in Caramel Toffee $4
- The banana powder does provide light coverage for those no makeup days.
- If you put it under your foundation, it gives a glowy finish (my friends actually noticed) and provides more coverage under my medium coverage foundation.
- There are so many ways to wear it (those mentioned above) and of course you can use it as a highlight.
- There is a guide on how to highlight and contour on the back.
- Big pans make it easy to get a large size bronzer brush in the product.
- Great price point.
- Cruelty free
- It breaks very easily! I dropped it once and cracked the packaging and all the banana powder shattered…
- The bronzer is a tad dark for my pale skin, but I found if I put it under my foundation, I get away with it.
Overall, I would recommend this product! Let me know if you try it out!
Finals are done! I finished Thursday and I could not be happier! To say a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders is an understatement and I’m pretty sure I will come out with an all A semester. I have this awesome week off and then start a two week summer intensive broadcast class. I will be filming, editing and reporting a video a day for 12 days Monday-Saturday. I’m telling you this because I will probably take about a two week break before I get back to blogging. I wish I had the energy to do it all, but once I finish my class and start my summer internship and online classes, I will get back to my schedule. I just wanted to make sure you didn’t think I disappeared from the blogasphere! Have you finished finals? How is your summer going to look?
Today I’m going to introduce a new series called the Savings Spotlight. I recently found some gems at a great deal and realized my readers must know about some of my favorite stores to find a bargain. Today I’m going to be talking about how I found Kate Spade at a discount!
So, you may be wondering where I find all of the gems pictured below and the answer is TJ Maxx! I was shocked each time to find these knick-knacks at a fraction of the cost! If you want to know what deals people are finding, always check #TJMAXX. I haven’t found it yet, but some people are spotting Kate Spade bow belts! I have three that I love and I found they really spice up any outfit. I’ve seen purses at TJ Maxx, but I have so many that I don’t need another pink Kate Spade, which I like to think is my signature bag. Don’t forget to check the jewelry section, as you can see this watch below that I spotted! If you’re wanting a discount on clothing, check your nearest outlet where I find my purses and the two dresses I own by Kate for 50-60% off of the retail price. Some pieces are barely a season old!
Large Planner $7.99 | Paperweight $12.99 | Coffee Table Book $29.99 | Watch $69.99 (regular $198!)
What treasures have you found at TJ Maxx?
Over Spring Break I had my interview for my first internship! Luckily, I got it and am counting down the days until I start (life of a video/broadcast nerd). I really believe that what you wear can help an employer form that crucial first impression as soon as you make eye contact. Here is the outfit that I wore, which I’m absolutely in love with. I was able to feel comfortable and confident as I walked into my panel interview.
What I wore:
- This dress is a recent purchase and is a J.CREW Factory favorite! The Kelly green is a beautiful pop of color, but isn’t over the top. J.CREW Factory is already discounted from the regular J.CREW and they have a lot of flash-sales that can cut the price even further!
- This blazer is also a recent purchase from the Limited outlet, which was having a 60% off sale. Being short, it’s hard to find blazers that fit in the sleeves and waist. This is the perfect navy blazer that you can wear in the office or prep up an already classic weekend look.
- My necklace is also J.CREW Factory. I got this a few birthday’s ago and luckily it’s still available!
- These loafers are the most budget friendly piece of my outfit and they came from Target! They are so comfortable and a nice alternative to the flat.
Did I mention it was sunny when I took these pictures?
Oh and windy, it was just that kind of day!
I would love to hear what your go to office outfits are! I’m starting to build the ever important professional wardrobe.
I must confess, there is a certain sense of pride from using up a product completely and knowing you got your money’s worth. So I’m back again with my makeup empties! As I’m sure you all know, makeup is sooo much harder to get through than body care.
- Estee Lauder Doublewear foundation- This is my absolute holy grail! This foundation really gives my skin a flawless finish, and is recommended by dermatologists because it helps acne (seriously, it really helps me stay away from breakouts and covers them pretty well) and is very full coverage. It barely fades after a day of walking in the insane humidity on campus. The only downside is the price; at $36 it’s not cheap, but lasts me around 4-5 months of daily use. Repurchase? Every time! Already have a bottle and a back up!
- Revo Pumpkin Spice chapstick- This is the EOS knockoff that I like a lot better. It moisturizes my lips really well, but the only downside is the scent. It comes in several varieties to choose from. Be warned they are so strong so choose wisely. It honestly smelled like I was smearing a candle on my lips. Repurchase? Already did in a different flavor.
- Rimmel Stay Matte foundation- I loved the coverage this foundation gave for days when I was just going to class and didn’t need the flawless look Estee Lauder’s Doublewear provides. My only complaint is that half way through the tube it started to look a little orange. However, I’m surrounded by awful lighting all day at school, so it could just be that. Repurchase? Yes!! I’m currently trying out the Tarte Amazonian Clay and It Cosmetics foundations, but I would like to have this on hand.
- EOS limited edition Rachel Roy- I’ve never loved EOS unless it’s in the mint scent. For some reason that flavor is more moisturizing. I bought this a year ago and just wanted to finish it. For some reason it molded around the edges, so I didn’t finish the entire thing. Don’t leave this sitting in your room too long, otherwise it will go bad like mine. Repurchase? No thanks, I’ll pass.
- Covergirl Orange Mascara- I know I used to love this, but I think I might have just gotten a bad tube. It didn’t provide any volume and barely any length. Also, it seemed half full because I finished it in 2 months and mascara normally lasts me anywhere from 3-4. Repurchase? I think I will give this formula a break for awhile. I’ve since found better drug store options.
- Stila mascara- This mascara came in a kit from Nordstorm’s Rack and is awesome! It really brought volume and length to my lashes. I was sad to see it go. Repurchase? Yes, if I ever come across it again.
- Wet and Wild Mega Volume mascara-I loved this mascara for the $1.99 price tag. I found it on sale at Walgreens and thought it was worth a try. It gives great length, but not a lot of volume. If you like to layer mascaras this would be a great budget friendly option. Repurchase? Maybe once I get through the 6 other mascaras I have right now.
- Covergirl Supersizer- I love this mascara! It gives me insane length and volume and comes off pretty easily with makeup remover. The MAJOR downside is the flaking. Towards the end of the day I inevitably have to take off my makeup because the flakes get in my eyes. Repurchase? Yes, I already have.
Since I was posting about Project Pan, I thought I might as well show you my trash too. That’s why today I will be debuting my first Empties post! The reason I’m showing you my trash is because I can give the best review about the products I loved or just finished, since I used every drop! I decided to split up my body care/ scent empties from my makeup empties, which will be coming soon!
Acure Conditioner: I picked this up at Whole Foods for $9.99 in the peppermint scent and fell in love with this natural conditioner. Not only does it do great things for my hair, but is affordable and the scent is energizing. I will repurchase after I go through my array of current shampoos and conditioners.
Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap: Castile soap has changed my life! To clean my makeup brushes I make an all natural, all purpose cleaner by diluting it with water! However, I repurchased in a soap bar form and not only is it half the price, but it cleaned my makeup brushes better and will last longer!
The Body Shop Cranberry body wash (travel size): The Body Shop did it again! The formula felt so rich and luxurious! Don’t forget you can find these really cheap at TJ Maxx! By the end of the mini bottle I was so tired of the cranberry scent. I would repurchase in a different scent like Virgin Mojito, which smells like limes!
Grapefruit Makeup Wipes (60 count): For $3.99 the value is incredible! I got these at TJ Maxx in the makeup wipe section by the checkout counter. They smelled amazing, were organic, cheap, and took off my makeup, making them a definite repurchase.
Estee Lauder Take off the Day mini: This miracle makeup remover moisturized my skin while simultaneously taking off my makeup with little to no effort! I would repurchase it if it wasn’t so pricey!
Dollar Tree peppermint candles: Don’t waste your money! They smelled good on a cold sniff, but when being burned had no throw and didn’t even melt all the way down. Not even worth a dollar!
Tom’s toothpaste: I was debating doing a separate post on how much I love this toothpaste! Since going fluoride free, I haven’t had any cavities, which is rare for me after I got my braces off (They said the braces were the cause of my cavities). The last time I went for a cleaning, the dentist even told me I had beautiful teeth! Such a different report before I used this toothpaste! It’s no question that I would repurchase this teeth cleaning miracle!
Cinnamon Carmel Swirl Wallflower: This smelled amazing and made me feel as if I was baking something in the oven. The throw was strong as lasted about 4 weeks, which is longer than most wallflowers last me. I’m not going to be replacing it because I want a less chemical filled alternative, but I got it on sale for $3.50 and would repurchase if not for the scent properties.
Klar and Danver hand soap refill: When I found this at dollar tree I decided to give it a try because it was an amazing deal. The soap was a green color and the green apple scent smelled awesome. However, I prefer more natural alternatives and it wasn’t as moisturizing as other hand soaps, so I wouldn’t repurchase.
Cinnamon Carmel Swirl BBW Candle: This candle burned well (no excess soot), smelled amazing, and had a great throw! If I wasn’t trying to get away from scented candles and find more natural alternatives, then I would repurchase.
This is the current picture of my closet in my apartment. It may look stuffed, but this is one of the main areas I have for storage. As you may have noticed by my suitcase, laundry hamper, studio lights and dish boxes. After organizing and doing a general Spring cleaning of my closet, I decided to share with you some helpful tips I learned along the way.
- Don’t have “chill clothes”– I found this tip extremely helpful after reading The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up. We all have those pieces that we don’t love, yet don’t want to get rid of that become workout or around the house clothing. I’m not saying you shouldn’t keep a pair of paint clothes, but don’t let a drawer overflow with clothes you don’t even want to wear out of the house. Also, don’t have things with stains or holes. I had a drawer full of undergarments that had a bad run-in with bleach (Good Job Kristen), and I still kept them! Needless to say, I felt like a million bucks when I replaced them.
- Try on everything/Take pictures– Whenever I go through my closet, I inevitably have a few pieces that I always reach for that aren’t very flattering. By trying on your clothes, you might find something you wanted to give away looks amazing on you and your go to outfit isn’t that special. If you’re on the fence on a particular item, try taking a picture in front of a full-length mirror. Everything seems to photograph differently than in person, and this guarantees you’ll look fabulous in every photo and can easily tell if the garment is flattering.
- Keep Versatile pieces– If you want to get rid of something, just look around your closet and see if you can give it a new life by using it in a different way. Does the bottom of a blouse have lace that could double as a shirt extender? Could that sleeveless button up or short sleeve sweater be paired with a jean jacket to create a new look?
- Find Similar looks on Pinterest– Most people say that when they take an outfit idea from Pinterest, it doesn’t translate like in the photograph. That’s why I pin pieces that are very similar to pieces I already own. I may have gotten lucky and stumbled upon them or if I just got a jean vest I’ll type in the search, “How to style a jean vest?” Most likely you will be given endless options with a piece you already own.
- Don’t save looks for a special occasion– This tip excludes formal dresses, but I once had a green shirt that I swore I would wear on St. Patrick’s Day. Spoiler, I never ended up wearing it year after year because I wanted to wear another, more stylish green outfit in my closet. If your only holding on to a piece for a holiday that you didn’t wear the previous season, then let it go! Holidays are special events, so wear clothing that make you feel like a million bucks.
- Put a bin under your bed– This tip comes from DoItOnaDime and it’s genius! If you can’t decide whether to give up a garment, throw it in a tub under your bed and give yourself a month to wear anything in the tub. If you never go back to any of the items, you know they won’t be missed!
- Sell on Poshmark– Plato’s Closet never gave me much for my trendy clothes in great condition. Selling on Poshmark allows you to name your own prices. This app is great because they send you the shipping label and you can get credit toward new things of your own! They have Lily Pulitzer, JCrew, Forever 21 and hundreds of other brands. Sadly, they do take a 20% commission fee off your sale, but it’s calculated when you initially price it, so you can set it accordingly. If you want to earn $10 just for signing up, then try my code JMKBN.
It may sound like I’m advising you to keep things instead of getting rid of them. I believe in keeping clothes you will use, and always finding a new way to use a piece before giving it away or buying new. Have creativity with the pieces you truly love and discard the rest!
The idea for this post is from Shannon at Tommy John. I was approached with the idea for this post, which I loved! I didn’t receive any payment or free merchandise! I just wanted to make sure and disclose that to you! Happy cleaning!
I had been looking forward to this day for months, ever since I decided to buy a ticket. No matter how many vlogs I’d watched from last year, nothing could compare to what I was about to experience! We got off the train to get our tote bag that came free with the ticket (I got the hauler package) and wait in line for the doors to open. The breeze was about to blow me away and to say it was chilly is an understatement.
Once the doors opened and we were scanned in, my shopping buddy/photographer/mom rushed inside with me. Moments before we were composing a game plan of which booths to hit up first. Once we saw the list, we were slightly disappointed because although there were 30 brands in attendance, it seemed half were hair care and the only high-end makeup retailer was Tarte. Later I found a booth that was filled with z-palettes, Ben Nye and Inglot. We booked it to Tarte first, and as you saw the salesclerks were very persuasive. Plus, their makeup looked amazing, so I believed anything they said…
Once I bought the highlights of the trip, we made our way to other booths. Makeup artists were doing touchups and hair at every turn. Brands were shoving freebies in our faces, adding weight to our already heavy bags. Several brands like NYX and Garnier had vending machines with built in wifi! A staffer would take your picture and you would eagerly wait in line and get your photo all ready to post to Instagram or Twitter. At the front a staff member would give you a unique hashtag and as soon as you posted, the machine dispensed a freebie! It sounds as cool as it was!
The QVC booth was also a highlight. As soon as we walked through we were handed water, a t-shirt, and a QVC gift card. We passed by a hairstylist and tanning area equipped with lotion and mits, to a photo op. After we took a picture a Wen representative gave us each TWO free bottles! Last in the booth was a makeup artist with IT Cosmetics CC Cream and Laura Gellar lip pencils at the ready. We wanted to buy the products, but they weren’t for sale. Perplexed, we made our way out only to be given gift bags with the makeup!
Everyone was so nice and very excited to pass out as many freebies as possible! We did all this in the span of a few hours. The debate was whether to wait an hour for the panel of famous Youtubers to start. The place was getting crowded and we were pretty exhausted, so we vowed we would catch the panels next year. This was so worth it, and I can’t wait to go back next year.
P.S. I just had to document my makeup! I’m wearing my trusty Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette.